Saturday, November 17, 2007

Out of concrete, into jungle


Hopefully a quick blog as I need to eat, shower, book a plane flight to the north and rest. The last 2 days have been an orgy of tourist activities. I have petted a tiger, ridden an elephant, saw monkeys in the wild, gone down a river on a bamboo raft, ridden the "Death Railway" (bridge over river kwai...), and hiked to an amazing waterfall (with about 10,000 other people). It all was ridiculously touristy, but for the most part is was all pretty darn fun. Are tourist traps in Thailand really that much better or do people from other parts of the world have this much fun when they are at Pier 39? Most things manged to be both embarrassingly touristy and deeply fulfilling simultaneously. Except the train, which was just embarrassingly touristy, but at least it was short.

Anyway, tomorrow I think I might try to get out of tourist-land and hop an ordinary bus to a national park that is a little off the beaten path and try to rent a bungalow there for the night. Suppose to have some nice hiking and because its remote should be pretty unvisited. I can just be there for one night, then I need to bus back to Bangkok (4 hr bus ride?) for a 6pm appt.

OK, gotta run. Lots of new pictures on the site. Check 'em out...

1 comment:

Jakeysmom said...

My favorite picture so far---despite all the beautiful shots you've taken--I like this one. It looks like you're the tiger whisperer.