Thursday, November 15, 2007

Escaped


Finally, definitively out of the city. After heading into Bangkok for a quick dental appt yesterday, I barely caught the last train out for Kanchanaburi (after first heading to the wrong train station on bad advice...). Kanchanaburi is a small town and the location of the "Bridge Over River Kwai". So lots of WWII history around here, but I'm here primarily because it is a launching off point for many "trekking" options. Today I'm mainly taking it slow, recovering, catching up on some email, maybe do some laundry and take a short afternoon tour (there is a place you can go and pet large adult tigers. hmmm...) or rent a bike and tour the local WWII sites. I'll be in this area for another 2-3 days, needing to get back to Bangkok by 6pm Monday to get my stitches out. (Then another dental appointment on Tuesday AM, then leave Bangkok again for destinations unknown at this point. Maybe Chaing Mai in the far North...)

Aside from being seemingly overrun by backpacker types such as myself, Kanchanaburi seems pretty darn cool, and much mellower than any place I've stayed yet. And cheaper too. I stayed in a bungalow literally suspended over the Kwai River last night for less than $20. Check out this view through my front door:


Moving to a different place tonight though just for fun and also because there is actually suppose to be alot of noise from the river on weekends when Thais from Bangkok come and party all night on Kareokee boats on the river. Interesting...My room tonight is even nicer and cheaper, but doesn't have the view.

Anyway, I've added some more pictures online, mainly of Ayuthaya. I've also stated at Kanchanaburi folder too. And I added some more to the Bangkok folder too. All can be accessed from here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/erki666

Also, I ran the GPS while on the train, so you can see the profile, map etc here if you are interested:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4451008

Well, I guess that's it for now...

1 comment:

Don't call me white. said...

please stop thinking about bi level parking lot fixtures while your on vacation.

and by please i mean just do it.